Thursday 21 July 2022

every man or woman in the telephone book

 it's a cool morning. last night horsemouth dreamt of enza (but with platinum blond hair). 

“as I look back on my own life, what seemed to be an endless path of unfulfilled dreams, visions, and aspirations now seems to be a worthwhile juggling of the need to give to my family, those dependent on me, and the world at large. if I am to be judged, let it be for the whole ME rather than the thin slender line of public achievement. I don't know what gold stars I would have bestowed upon myself and perhaps only g-d knows, but it is a different way of evaluating my life than the one generally called upon in who's who or the new york times obits. I probably will not merit an article in the new york times obits, as those in my family did, but I am no longer discontent. if they did write about me, they would have to include an article for every man or woman in the telephone book, as we all have our stories to tell. so I will rest secure in the love of my friends and my family, as well as those who chanced to hear my songs. I'd like them to keep my songs alive, if possible, as well as some of my stories, but as they say at passover--dayenu--it would have been enough to be just as I am. and now off to bed with hope for another peaceful night.” - elisabeth higgins (lisa) null, a few days ago.

lisa null has died. after a 'battle' with cancer (to use one of the cliches disparaged by susan sontag). she was a mainstay of the maryland folk scene. horsemouth is keeping an eye out for the obituaries but he likes the place she reached in her thinking about it. 

later today more of the webb david show (ambient techno dub would be the description horsemouth would use).  mind you also today there's andy smith and grandmaster flash  down at docklands for free in the evening. 

events. in the tory party leadership election

we are down to liz truss and rishi sunak (gawdelpus). sunak (of course) reminds horsemouth of norman wisdom every time he sees him (which is unfortunate for a serious politician). sunak has real problems. the major of these is that he will shortly be defeated by liz truss in the election for tory leader and this will be hard for his ego and his rational conscious mind to take. (horsemouth knows this because he has talked to his parents).

the prospect of liz truss is hellish but the prospect of austerity under sunak (rishi sterity) is pretty terrible also. at least the tories electing truss will make the russians laugh says horsemouth.

earlier horsemouth and a friend were considering recasting hamlet (or at least badenoch and tugendhat are dead)  - rishi sunak as hamlet, liz truss as ophelia, boris johnson as the ghost.

today is the anniversary of robbie basho playing a warm up gig in the deli natural restaurant in cedar rapids iowa in 1978 (before his sinclair auditorium college gig(s) tomorrow) 'a lot of music to play tomorrow'. it is five years since horsemouth's solo gig (as a musician of bremen) down in bow. the gig went very well (horsemouth was very pleased). the other musician of bremen did manage to attend and took some excellent photos. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment