Tuesday 25 October 2022

if this is tuesday... ('my solitary walks, and the reveries which accompany them')

if this is tuesday (this must be belgium) is a cheerful caper movie. the theme tune for which was the basis for chura liya (the theme of  the first bollywood movie). 

episode two of our mutual friend done (it is of course a young anna friel as the snooty miss not kate beckinsale). the expected plot twist has been revealed. gaffer hexam (as a member of the uncouth and undeserving poor) has been killed off. the boffins are launched upon society. 

the week is structured round the drama of  bin-day (thursday evening bins put out/ friday morning bins collected). giant clanking machines. heroic binmen. the recycling is every week the festering rubbish is every two weeks. 

sten seems to have come down with an evil F-L-U (horsemouth is staying out of his way). he has tested for C-O-V-I-D but it does not seem to be that. meeanwhile horsemouth's friend TG has the C-O-V-I-D.

horsemouth has a social engagement thursday (he will test before he goes out to that), he has a social engagement sunday. 

yesterday the anniversary of the second walk from rousseau's reveries of the solitary walker. 

'having resolved to describe the habitual state of my soul, in the most unaccountable situation that ever mortal experienced, I can find no manner so simple and effectual, to execute this purpose, as to keep a faithful register of my solitary walks, and the reveries which accompany them...'

the walk did not end well. rousseau was run over by a great dane which dashed him off his feet. the subsequent fall  face first onto the cobble stones if it didn't break his jaw at least smashed up his face.

'my wife's cries when she saw me made me realize that I was in a worse state than I had thought.: my upper lip was split on the inside right up to the nose,; on the outside the skin had given it some protection and prevented it from coming completely apart. I had four teeth knocked in on my top jaw,...'

last night a meeting on zoom of the communal endeavour (an activity for which horsemouth is badly suited by virtue of being a grumpy old sod).

the next meeting will probably be a doozy. there  is important business to transact, circumstances are not favourable and this makes him anxious. horsemouth is busy detatching from his hopes and fears and turning it into a bureaucratic game. he will try to prepare before the meeting and make the clearest argument that he can that a housing co-op should attempt to rehouse its members. he will do his duty thereafter it is in the lap of the gods. 

today horsemouth will go a wandering. he will do a little laundry. these sorts of things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment